Sunday, March 6, 2011

71 Days Left: HOLY COW (and shrimp).

I couldn't wait to get to the computer to post this little update:

Weight: 135.0 (-1.0) lbs from yesterday!  -3.0 pounds total (according to a professor at the University of Missouri, if it was cocaine we were talking about, that's a street value of like 50,000 dollars.  And for the rest of us, that's like 12 quarter pounders at McDonald's...HOLY COW!).

This is the first time I've seen an entire pound of weight loss overnight.  I double and triple checked the scale; it's official.  I actually had a feeling that today might be a big drop because yesterday's .04 lb difference was a bit less than usual.  I was very pleasantly surprised that my hunch turned out be correct.

Reasons why 135.0 feels awesome:
1) It's a nice round number; anything above 135.0 feels like it should be rounded to 140, which just sucks.
2) It's the first time I've been this weight since just before Christmas.
3) It means I am only 2 pounds away from getting a pedicure next Saturday (and I need a pedicure, so I will do whatever it takes to make that happen).

I didn't do a whole lot yesterday. The weather was awful.  I curled up with some DVD's and just enjoyed having a day off.  I did, however, discover a new guilt-free recipe that I think is decadent enough that it is worth sharing to the calorie conscious and non-dieters alike.  It's also easy enough that I can do it (which means that you, your 7 year old, or your Golden Retriever could also probably do it).

No-Guilt Holy Sauteed Cajun Shrimp and Cheddar Cheese Grits
Ingredients:

For the sauteed shrimp: 
3 oz. peeled and deveined shrimp
1/2 tbsp butter
1/4 tsp (ish) minced garlic
black pepper to taste
Tony Chachere's to taste

For the cheddar cheese grits:
1/4 cup Quaker Quick Grits
3/4 cup water (or as directed on the grits package)
generous dash Lea and Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce
1 oz. Cabot 75% reduced fat white cheddar cheese
cayenne pepper to taste
salt to taste
black pepper to taste

Prepare the grits as directed on the grits package.
While the grits are cooking, heat butter in a skillet on high heat (I like to toss the shrimp in on high heat before reducing because it creates this fantastic crispiness on the outside that is to die for).
Add shrimp, garlic, black pepper and Tony's
Reduce heat to medium/medium high.
Saute until cooked through. (depending on the size of the shrimp this step usually ends just as the Quick Grits are finished cooking).
Set aside.

When the grits have thickened, add the cheese, worcestershire sauce, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
Top with the shrimp. (Oh, and make sure to get the buttery-garlicky renderings from the pan into the grits too.  These calories are already accounted for in the recipe and it really is a nice touch).
Enjoy.

Recipe yields 1 serving. This entire decadent recipe clocks in at 325 calories and just under 7 grams of fat.  (In the sodium department it might cost you, however). It is incredibly filling.  I haven't tried it yet, but adding a bit of Worcestershire Sauce to the shrimp as they cook might be a nice touch too.

BONUS: Being holy shrimp (and being meat-free) this is a great recipe for Fridays in Lent (although it tastes completely sinful).

Anyway, today is going to be a parade-filled, hot-bed of moral turpentine.  I'll be enjoying every minute of it just after I finish my C25K workout (the weather is FINALLY good enough to go walking/jogging).

No comments:

Post a Comment